Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Well, we made it!

After sleeping from 11 until 3:30, I got ready to meet Eileen in Sol. We met up at the bear. I always hate not knowing what direction someone’s coming from, and I didn’t know if she really knew where we were meeting, and I hadn’t seen her in years, but luckily she spotted me and it was a great reunion! After getting a picture by the bear, I asked her what she wanted to see in Madrid still and she was up for whatever, not touristy really, so we went to Plaza Santa Anna, which supposedly has the best/most tapas in Madrid. We ate outside in the plaza and the Cerverceria 100, where our sandwiches were only 1 Euro! And it was SO good! I’m going back everyday!

Then we walked back towards Sol and headed to the market. We got some macroons, yum! And on the way there we went into the really nice sweet shop and they gave us some free tastes and they were super yummy! And free! Ahh! It was really neat to hear about her cooking class in Italy and how other study abroad programs run. And she traveled through Europe for 2 weeks before arriving in Madrid! So she had lots of good stories. In her cooking class, they learned how to clean fish, and the fish was so fresh that when she cut it open, a live crab ran out!

Then we wandered around towards Lavapies, which is a district with lots of Turkish, Moroccan, and Indian influence. But we got there really early, because we didn’t need to be at the Flamenco place until 10, so we walked towards the Atocha station and explored the rain forest inside the lobby. Then we went to Retiro to see the Palacio Cristal, the Fallen Angel, and of course people making out in the grass. And doing weed. And singing on guitars. It was really interesting how much I wanted to say “Vale vale” because we were exploring and so when we’d get lost and I wanted to say “oh well” or “ok” I’d want to say it but I tried to explain how people use it here and I don’t think she understood. It does take some getting used to, but I use it at least every 15 minutes now too, so when I go home it’s going to be such a reverse culture-shock!


So then we got to El Juglar and bought our tickets to the 10pm show. And we got a free glass of wine with our tickets, yum! So we sipped that for an HOUR before we were let into the stage room for the show! Haha. But it was a great time to catch up. And I didn’t know if they’d serve tapas and some places have a minimun consuption, so I figured we shouldn’t eat dinner before if we’d have to get stuff there. But it turned out to be just the show. Which I was fine with because I forgot about eating, which is weird. But it’s so strange here because I try to research the things I want to go to but you NEVER know what to really expect until you get there!

The show itself was AMAZING. There was a guitarist, a male singer, and 3 dancers, all female. The dancers sat on the side and made the music too, with their claps and feet. It’s amazing they can stamp like that for so long! Then, one would get up, dance for a little bit, and then the other would go. Then, they each had about 2-3 songs of solos, and it was really interesting because each style was so unique. The first girl was so strong a fierce and was SO good! The second girl was really flirty and fun and quick. And the third woman was a lot older and very clean and precise. Its so cool how I’ve been to 3 flamenco shows and they’ve all been completely different! Then at the end, 2 would dance at a time together and then they all ended together. It was SO good! And people yelled out and cheered and it was a very friendly and exciting atmosphere.

Then, Eileen and I took the Metro back to her hotel so that she could find the place, and good thing I went with here because it was a little confusing, and I found the most delicious gelato place on my way back to the Metro. I saw that they had Violeta flavor, which I noticed today that they had candies flavored Violeta, with purple flowers drawn on the outside, so I decided to try it because how werid does that sound! I don’t know if it was just amazing gelato, or that I hadn’t eaten, but I think my favorite flavor is not Violeta! It was not too sweet just SO good! I’m going to need more soon!

Monday, June 28, 2010
So I’m trying really hard to keep up, but not writing in Portugal for those days really put me behind. Not like I would’ve had time anyway. It was the craziest experience of my life. Pretty much imagine me planning EVERYTHING and making it so that it all could fit, then I woke up early accidentally so Steve and I explored for 2 EXTRA hours that I didn’t even plan on doing (which turned out to be almost the best!) so I saw EVERYTHING I wanted to see and more! And there’s even still stuff to go back and see. And I think now everyone’s appreciating that I forged our path and planned everything. At least Steve said thank you. And everyone said it was the most amazing trip ever. Except for the part where we thought we were being so smart to not get a hostel for the last night since our flight was at 7, so we had to be at the airport at 5, so why not just stay out all night? Well, that works in Madrid when we have siestas, and not 45 minute train rides back to the city. But Rene and Erin, who were supposed to explore the streets all night with us went back to the hostel with Myra and Michael and Sam and Hillary, who were all paying, and the 2 from our group snuck in and slept there. But it was uncomfortable for those who were paying and nervous about being caught. So I’m happy with my decision to stick to the plan. So Steve, Ben, and Eric and I (and Michael and Sam for a while before they went back to the hostel) went out to Barrio Alto, which is the bar district, and unfortunately it was kind of far away, so after walking Sam and Michael back everyone else wanted to sleep on the bench outside. I hope this doesn’t sound crazy. I know it is, but I had fun. Everyone else was miserable. Even Steve, who is ALWAYS positive, even when I’m not, was questioning our sanity. Which I agree, it wasn’t a sane decision. But we had made it and were sticking to it and there was nothing to do but survive. Anyway, Steve agree that it was an experience and he was just cold. Well, I was in a dress, and it was COLD. But not thinking, I hadn’t looked up the weather for night because who ever does? Well, when you’re not booking a place for the night it’s a good idea. But we all learned that 14 Euro is ok to part with for a bed. 3 hours of sleep is better than none. Somehow I was still super awake all the way to the airport and then we had forever there, so I slept in the chairs, and then we boarded and I slept and I woke up in Madrid. Then I came home, slept, and met Eileen. Really it wasn’t that bad. We’ve stayed out way later in Madrid. But it is true that I made everyone wake up that day to day-trip it to Sintra at 9am. But really as a package Portugal ran so smoothly and was amazing.

So today was a little rough. I got back from dropping Eileen off at 1am and had to wake up at 6am because I had to leave extra early because today the Metros were going on partial strike. Our professor was so excited to brag about how Spain announces its strikes unlike Italy. So they were only running ½ the trains today and tomorrow’s supposed to be less and Wednesday even less and if they don’t come to an agreement then there will be no Metro on Thursday (Note: Mom, please call Alex and tell him this. It’s very important for him to know the word for strike (“Huelga”) and that if there is one for him to go to the hotel and call me from Skype so we can figure things out when he lands). Anyway, it took me about double the time to get to school.

We have our 3rd teacher for the morning class. I really like him, he’s a lot more laid back and really excited to exchange information and discussion rather than lecture. Actually, things with Marisa are way better too. Before we left on Thursday, she asked us all where we were going, and she gave us all kinds of advice. And she said Portugal would be the best! And I think it was! And then Lizzie, the dumbest blonde that as black hair started asking Marisa, our professor, about her son and if he’d want to go drinking with our class and if he had money and just ridiculous stuff. And somehow we started talking about social no-nos and Marisa told us all of the Spanish potty jokes. So we wasted an hour of class and it was a blast.

After school today, I came home for lunch and Gracia talked to me a lot. I think she missed me. And some guy came to the door, maybe asking for money or something, and he peered in and was asking her about me and she kept saying all of these things and laughing. She cracks herself up. Or maybe she’s trying to crack me up, but I have no clue what’s going on when she talks. We had lentil soup with potatoes again and she asked if I liked it, and I said I wanted the recipe, and she didn’t understand me. Then Jaime said the exact sentence I just had and she understood. I think she just assumes she won’t know what I’m talking about. Then I told her I was going to be sad to leave. I think she understood, but then she said I was such a silly/ funny girl. Haha. Then she brought me empanadas and some sort of fried/grilled/breaded meat. It was good too! I’m going to miss not knowing what food is but liking it anyway.

Then I worked on my exam ALL day! Ahhh, it makes me so mad to stay inside when it’s so beautiful outside! But now I’m done. Thank goodness!

Then I went out for dinner, and I had paella. Yum! Today was a really good food day! and Alejandro and Lidia wanted to practice English, so they were quizzing eachother on fruits, and then colors, and then the broke out into “Red and yellow and pink and green, Purple and orange and blue. I can SEE and rainBOWL, SEE a rainBOWL, SEE a rainBOWL too.” Haha, they changed the words a little. And then they moved onto body parts and we sang “Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes” and it was so much fun! Haha, and they kind of have British accents, at least it sounds that way, and they say “trainers” for tennis shoes. Hahaha. It was a really fun dinner.

Alright, off to bed and then more on Portugal tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment