Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Monday, June 21, 2010

Today after school I went home quickly to eat before going back out to the Reina Sofia Modern Art Museum. We saw lots of Picasso, like the Lady in Blue, cubism, and Guernica, and lots of Dali. Eric and I were just amused the whole time by how some stuff was even considered art. There was a particular painting of rectangles that really got to him. And we walked past this one room where three women were sitting in chairs looking towards a white rectangular box. We were so confused and we thought it was invisible art or something, but then later we walked by again and realized the women must have just been sitting and staring off because there was supposed to be a video projecting onto the wall.

After finishing our last tour with Rafa, Tara and I headed to Sol to check out the Rebajas, June sales! It was incredible! We only went into stores that said Rebajas on the windows, but in the stores we went into there were sales 50-70%. They were so packed though, with such long check out lines, so we only had the effort to try a few things on. Plus clothes fit a lot differently here. They’re very square, which is my least favorite shape for a shirt to be in. But vale vale. It was fun to see!

Dinner tonight was mashed potatoes, hot dogs, and rice with chucks of garlic. All very good, but so filling! And lunch was an egg omlet thing with some weird cheese or something inside but it was burned so I actually kind of liked it. But they sure do like their eggs here!

While I ate dinner, my family (minus Jaime, who is on a school trip) watched the futbol game of Spain vs. Honduras. Everytime they were close to scoring a gol, my mom would yell, “Toma!” which is subjunctive meaning “Hopefully you make it” but she would yell it so loud! And then they did make it and she would yell at the replay too! And Alejandro ran around yelling “Gooooooool” before going back to barking and playing like a dog. Speaking of which, other people live in families with dogs and they tell me it’s so nice because they can feed the dog the food they don’t want! They’re so lucky!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Today we went to school like usual for our first class, but then went to the Prado for our art class. It was pretty cool to have Art class in the Prado while looking at the huge paintings. The only thing is that we’re all pretty sure now that Nebrija thinks we’re actual art students. They must think really poorly of Purdue’s art program, because we never know any of the answers to Marisa’s questions. Sorry that 99% of Americans aren’t Catholic and we don’t have 350,000 years of art stored up in our country. The poor thing must feel like she’s teaching kindergarteners…”Here we can see red, what does red mean again? That’s right, it means martyrdom.”

Then, I came home for lunch and ate with Lidia, who brought me her futbol Mundial magazine and we flipped through it while she asked me which of them were cute. It was hard to tell since they were all in actions shots either grimacing or yelling “Gooooool!” So I would pick someone and she would tell me all about them, or be disappointed in who I picked because she likes the goalie. Then, Gracia came in and tried to get me to eat more, and when Lidia told her I was full, Gracia told Lidia that she was worried I would go home and my family would see me so skinny and either think that I wasn’t fed or that I didn’t like Spain. I like how Gracia is trying to use me as an advertisement for Spain. And she must have thought I wasn’t fed well in America before I came. Obviously she hasn’t heard about America’s obesity problem.

Off to Carmen tonight, and working on my take home exam right now :/

No comments:

Post a Comment